Approved October 5, 2019
MLA's mission is to support, preserve, and enhance equitable access to the world's musical heritage.
To achieve this mission, we:
- provide an inclusive forum for music information professionals and other scholars and researchers;
- provide leadership for the collection and preservation of music of all kinds and information about music in libraries and archives;
- develop and deliver programs that promote continuing education and professional development for information professionals who work with music materials and provide or support access to music research;
- ensure and enhance intellectual access to music for all by contributing to the development and revision of national and international standards and vocabularies for the description, organization, and retrieval of music information;
- facilitate best practices for housing, preserving, and lowering barriers to access to music materials;
- promote legislation that strengthens universal access to music and music library services;
- foster information literacy and lifelong learning by promoting music reference services, information literacy instruction, and publications; and
- collaborate with other groups in the music and technology industries, government, and librarianship, to promote our mission and values.