The MLA Diversity Scholarship Award, funded by the membership of MLA, offers candidates from under-represented groups the opportunity to pursue a master’s degree in library and information science (MLIS) with financial support.
The goal of the scholarship is to recruit students from historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups into music librarianship by providing support for master’s-level LIS education. Students who have applied to or are enrolled in an ALA-Accredited MLIS program with a concentration, certificate, courses, or a career interest in music librarianship are eligible to apply for the MLA Diversity Scholarship Award.
The winner of the award will receive:
- A tuition stipend, the amount of which will be determined prior to the call for applications.
- Career guidance provided by the MLA Career Advisory Service.
- Gratis student membership in MLA for one year.
- Gratis registration for the MLA annual conference.
- Committee recommendation for the MLA Kevin Freeman Travel Grant for possible travel support to attend an MLA Annual Meeting. Please note that the award winner must still apply for the Freeman award for consideration.
To apply, submit:
- A personal statement (not to exceed 750 words) summarizing your musical background and interest in music librarianship.
- Curriculum vitae or Resume
- Three letters of recommendation (to be submitted via email). References could be professional contacts, teaching faculty, or supervisors who can speak to your strengths as a candidate for the scholarship.
- Proof of student status upon enrollment in a Master of Library Science program (For current students: enrollment verification from student online account, an email from graduate advisor, or copy of term bill/course enrollment for Fall 2019 is acceptable.)
Send application materials to Treshani Perera, Chair of MLA Diversity Scholarship Award Committee (firstname.lastname@example.org). Applications received by July 12 will be given first consideration.
2020: Hang Nguyen
2019: Ellen Ogihara
2018: Enrique (Ricky) Caboverde