||Music Library Association
||Position Closed - Do Not Apply
Description & Details
The Music Library Association is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Open Access Editor. As this is a new initiative and a new position, the incoming Editor will have an important role in establishing the project, defining initial scope and process, and promoting this new opportunity for publication. MLA seeks someone with both editorial and managerial skills, who can speak to a vision for what this program could become.
The position is responsible for all content on the Open Access (OA) Platform. In the initiating year, the OA Editor will draft a proposal of scope in consultation with the Publications Committee and subject to approval by the Board of Directors. Multiple potential projects (monograph, serial, database, etc.) should be prioritized, timelines established, workflows outlined; demonstration of progress should balance expansion of services. Expedite prototype of platform for launch with a first successful project within one year of accepted proposal of scope.
- Solicits and edits content for publication. Coordinates peer review of submissions.
- Closely follows MLA house style for publication and documents necessary modifications.
- Reports regularly to MLA Board of Directors on the state of OA platform.
- Serves on MLA Publication Committee and embraces mandate to work collaboratively with other editors.
- With other MLA representatives (such as the Business Office, Administrative Officers, Web Manager, among others) oversees contract agreements and content specifications for the OA platform.
- Implements discovery of MLA-OA content with advice and support from other MLA committees (such as Cataloging and Metadata Committee, Emerging Technologies and Services Committee).
- Liaison with other MLA committees such as Program and Best of Chapters, and other officers such as the poster sessions Coordinator and other Editors, to solicit content.
- Current MLA member and attendance at annual meetings.
- Commitment to open access and knowledge of OA software platforms such as Open Journal Systems or Open Monograph Press.
- Working knowledge of other MLA publications.
- Knowledge of current copyright regulations as related to scholarly publications.
- Strong knowledge of Creative Commons and other licenses and contracts.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the discipline of music librarianship.
- Ability to establish and meet schedules.
- Experience in Open Access initiatives at an institution.
- Editorial experience/ demonstrated efficiency in reviewing manuscripts/ established record of scholarship.
- Institutional support in regards to time allotment
OA Editor receives gratis regular member MLA membership; gratis early registration for annual conference; and a monetary honorarium in the amount of $1,200.00 annually.
The Founding Editor will serve an initial term of 2 years to establish the program, followed by the option of annual renewal—up to a total of 5 years and subject to annual review.
How to Apply / Contact
Send cover letter, CV, and a list of three references via attachment to search committee chair Dick Griscom at email@example.com. Deadline for applications is 31 December 2016.
Dick Griscom, Chair