||University of Southern California
||Position Closed - Do Not Apply
The University of Southern California (USC) Libraries seek an innovative, service-oriented librarian for a one-year appointment as a Contract Librarian. The Music Librarian will serve as the Acting Head of the Music Library while the current Head is on leave, beginning December 15th, and will continue to provide reference, instruction, and other services as assigned within the USC Libraries upon the Head’s return. Duties include some weekend and evening hours.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Reporting to the Director of Division II, the Music Librarian will:
- Serve as the Head of the USC Music Library during the absence of the Head of the Music Library. These duties include: 1) Supervise one full-time staff position, 2) Manage and coordinate materials and student wages budgets, and 3) Oversee library operations and facilities.
- Provide teaching and research-focused information services, including developing and conducting instruction programs focused on advanced resources for undergraduate and graduate level music students.
- Work collaboratively with other subject selectors, faculty, and students on collection development activities by selecting print and electronic resources,primarily in music, and in other disciplines, as assigned.
- Provide in-person and virtual reference and instruction services as assigned, including some weekends and evenings.
- Contribute to the creation, development, and delivery of workshops, tutorials, and related on-line research guides on library resources and library research methods to students in person and online.
- Participate in library and other committees as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Minimum qualifications: MLS from an ALA-accredited program or non-U.S. equivalent is typically required for a librarian appointment at USC. Bachelor’s degree in music orexperience working with the specialized information resources required for music related instruction or research. In addition, candidates must provide examples of:
- A commitment to a strong public service orientation in a library.
- Knowledge of current professional trends, especially those activities relating to referenceservice, instruction, and collection development techniques to serve a diverse population of users on and off-campus.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- The ability to work independently as well as with colleagues and library users from diverse backgrounds.
- Master’s degree in Music.
- Supervisory experience.
- Experience managing budgets.
- Experience providing reference, instruction, collection development, and/or outreach services.
- Experience processing and cataloging archival materials.
FACULTY APPOINTMENT RANK/SALARY
Contract Librarian rank;salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. This is a full-time,fixed-term, non-continuing appointment position.
Benefits include a choice of retirement programs, 22 paid vacation days per year, university holidays, a choice of medical and dental plans, and tuition assistance (for employees and eligible dependents). For information about benefits for full-time faculty, see: http://www.usc.edu/dept/Benefits/emp-ft.html
Applications must be submitted via USC’s online faculty application website:https://jobs.usc.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=73166
As part of the application, candidates must upload one document file (Word or PDF) that contains the following: 1) a cover letter, 2) a curriculum vitae (including telephone and e-mail address), and 3) a list of at least three references that includes the name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address for each referee.
Closing date for applications: Open until filled.
For more information, contactAnne Lynch, Chair of the Search Committee, at email@example.com