The grant, established in 1994 to honor the memory of Kevin Freeman and awarded for the first time in 1997, supports attendance of music librarians and students new to the field to the Music Library Association's annual meeting. The next meeting will take place February 22-26, 2017 in Orlando, Florida. Recipients receive gratis conference registration and a cash award of up to $750 for travel costs (transportation and accommodations). At least one grant will be awarded to a first-time attendee, if applicable. At least one grant will be awarded to an individual from an underrepresented racial or ethnic minority group*, if applicable.
* as defined by the US Labor Department’s Executive Order 11246: American Indian or Alaskan Native, Asian or Pacific Islander, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latino.
Applicants must be members of the Music Library Association and in one of the following groups:
- in the first three years of their professional career,
- a graduate student in library school (by the time of the annual meeting) aspiring to become a music librarian OR
- a recent graduate (within one year of degree) of a graduate program in librarianship seeking a professional position as a music librarian
Previous applicants who still qualify are welcome to reapply.
Applicants must fill out the online application and submit a current CV via the Kevin Freeman Travel Application page (accessed via http://www.musiclibraryassoc.org/?FreemanGrantApply ) by October 28, 2016. Letters of support accompanying the application are to be emailed to the Chair of the grant committee at the email address below and must also be received by October 28, 2016.
Below are brief guidelines on the application materials:
- A letter of application which includes:
- The reasons for attending the MLA Annual Conference and why you are a good candidate for this grant
- A justification of financial need
- A budget for travel costs to attend the MLA Annual Conference, submitted in PDF, Microsoft Word, or Microsoft Excel format
- Information about any other grants, matching funds, institutional support you may also receive to cover costs to attend the MLA Annual Meeting
- The number of times you have attended the national MLA meeting
- A current CV, submitted in PDF or Microsoft Word format
- Two letters of support directly emailed by recommenders to Rebecca McCallum, Chair of the Kevin Freeman Travel Grant committee at firstname.lastname@example.org. Acceptable file formats include PDF, Microsoft Word or plain email text. Please include “Kevin Freeman Travel Grant” in the subject of the message.
Grant recipients will be notified by mid-December, and announced at the MLA 2017 Annual Meeting in Orlando, Florida. For questions about the award, please contact the Chair of the Freeman Travel Grant Committee at the email address below.
Chair, Freeman Travel Grant Committee
Middletown, CT 06459