The Dena Epstein Award for Archival and Library Research in American Music was created in 1995 through a generous gift from Morton and Dena Epstein to the Music Library Association. Requests are currently being accepted for one or more grants to be awarded for the year 2011. The amount to be awarded is $2100. The decision of the Dena Epstein Award Committee and the Board of Directors of the Music Library Association will be announced at the MLA annual meeting in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, which will be held February 9–12, 2011.
A grant may be awarded to support research in archives or libraries (both nationally and internationally) on any aspect of American music. There are no restrictions as to applicant's age, nationality, profession, or institutional affiliation. All proposals will be reviewed entirely based on merit. Awards may be presented to an individual applicant or divided among multiple applicants. At its discretion, the committee may choose not to award a grant during any particular year. An applicant who has not received an Epstein Award for the first year of application may resubmit a proposal in the two following years for any one project. An applicant may receive only one award for any one project.
Applicants must submit the following documents:
A brief research proposal (under 10 pages) that includes:
- a description of the project
- a detailed budget for the project, indicating:
- the amount of funding requested (capital purchases such as computer equipment and furniture are ineligible)
- justification for the funding
- additional sources of funding
- a demonstration of how the applicant's research will contribute to the study and understanding of American music
- A curriculum vitae of the applicant.
- Three letters of support from librarians and/or scholars knowledgeable about American music.
Applications should be submitted by e-mail attachment and must be in Microsoft Word or PDF format.
Please send required documentation to D.J. Hoek, chair of the Dena Epstein Award Committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for receipt of proposals and letters of support is July 1, 2010.