Applications are now being accepted for the Kevin Freeman Travel Grant
. The grant, established in 1994 to honor the memory of Kevin Freeman and awarded for the first time in 1997, supports attendance of music librarians new to the field to the Music Library Association's annual meeting. Recipients receive gratis conference registration and a cash award of up to $750 for travel costs (transportation and accommodations at the convention hotel at half of the double occupancy rate*). At least one grant will be awarded to a first-time attendee, if applicable. Applicants must be members of the Music library Association and in one of the following groups:
● in the first three years of their professional career
● a graduate student in library school (by the time of the conference, February 26-March 2, 2014) aspiring to become a music librarian, or
● a recent graduate (within one year of degree) of a graduate program in librarianship seeking a professional position as a music librarian.
Previous applicants who still qualify are welcome to reapply.
Applicants must submit the following in .pdf by September 30th, 2013:
1. A letter of application which includes:
- The reasons for attending the MLA Annual Conference and why you are a good candidate for this grant
A justification of financial need
- A budget for travel costs to attend the MLA Annual Conference*
- Information about any other grants, matching funds, institutional support you may also receive to cover costs to attend the MLA Annual Conference
- The number of times you have attended the national MLA meeting
2. A current vita
3. Two letters of support directly mailed by recommenders (.pdf or email)
Please email application and supporting materials (.pdf) to:
Sally Bauer, Chair of the Freeman Travel Grant Committee.
Please mark the subject line: Freeman Travel Grant Application.
Grant recipients will be notified by November 1, 2013 and announced at the MLA 2014 Annual Meeting in Atlanta, Georgia. For questions about the award, please contact the Chair of the Freeman Travel Grant Committee at the above email address.
*Room rates are estimated to be $179 for double occupancy, plus taxes.
Music/Media Cataloger Senior Librarian
New York Public Library Library Services Center
31-11 Thomson Avenue
Long Island City, NY 11101-3006