The Dena Epstein Award for Archival and Library Research in American Music
was created in 1995 through a generous gift from Morton and Dena Epstein to the Music Library Association. Applications are currently being accepted for one or more grants to be awarded for the year 2015. The total amount to be awarded this year is $5775.25. The decision of the Dena Epstein Award Committee and the Board of Directors of the Music Library Association will be announced at the MLA annual meeting in Cincinnati, OH, which will be held March 2 - 5, 2016.
A grant may be awarded to support research in archives or libraries (both nationally and internationally) on any aspect of American music. For purposes of this award, "American music" is defined as music directly relating to or that has some direct connection with the United States of America. Past recipients and their topics may be viewed on the Dena Epstein Award page
There are no restrictions as to applicant's age, nationality, profession, or institutional affiliation. All proposals will be reviewed entirely based on merit. Awards may be presented to an individual applicant or divided among multiple applicants. At its discretion, the committee may choose not to award a grant during any particular year. Unsuccessful first-time applicants may resubmit a proposal for the same project up to two years after their initial submission. An applicant may receive only one award for any one project.
The deadline for receipt of proposals and letters of support is July 6, 2015.
Applicants must submit the following documents:
1. A brief research proposal (up to 2500 words) that includes:
- a description of the project and a title
2. A detailed budget for the project, indicating:
- the amount of funding requested (capital purchases such as computer equipment and furniture are ineligible)
- justification for the funding
3. Additional sources of funding
4. A demonstration of how the applicant's research will contribute to the study and understanding of American music
5. A curriculum vitae of the applicant.
6. Two letters of support from librarians and/or scholars knowledgeable about American music.
If you have any questions about the award, particularly about whether you are qualified to apply for it, please contact:
Joan O'Connor, Chair of the Dena Epstein Award Committee
Other members of this year's committee are Angela Pratesi and Marci Cohen.